Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Opera Rock God...in a totally non Webber way


I have been training to become an opera singer since the age of 9.  I have always been determined and focused on becoming an opera rock god.  After more than half of my life spent around professional musicians all at different stages of their careers, I now realize that performance is not where I can do the most good for music.  It is up to my generation to consume and enjoy the music in a totally new way.  The experience of opera and classical music, both to the fault of administration and the musicians themselves, becomes more outdated every day.  I would think that dating this music, which in itself proves to be the most powerful and expressive of all art forms, would be a pretty difficult task.  It was classical musicians who panicked with the advent of recorded music, but still survived. In an environment where all forms of music production seem to be struggling to find the next distribution structure, Opera needs to assert itself, “lop off” its association with the old forms, and ensure its place in tomorrow’s landscape.
Opera is dramatic.  Opera is sexy.  Opera is sex.  Opera doesn’t die....the “blue hairs” do.

No comments:

Post a Comment